Friday, June 24, 2011

Our "hiding place"

"Pooped."

Do you ever feel so tired that you just can't fold another load of laundry? You are exhausted by your endless to-do list, calendar item or not getting to see your kids enough?

Sarah Groves writes one of the most beautiful songs about hiding places and our quiet time with Christ. It's moving, powerful and refreshing. God is our refreshment, our sustaining power and friend. Charles Spurgeon, a famous preacher, said that when we have lost our rest, we must find it in Christ alone.

PSALM 116:
Return, unto thy rest, O my soul. He calls the rest still his own, and feels full liberty to return to it. What a mercy it is that even if our soul has left its rest for a while we can tell it—"it is thy rest still." The Psalmist had evidently been somewhat disturbed in mind, his troubles had ruffled his spirit but now with a sense of answered prayer upon him he quiets his soul. He had rested before, for he knew the blessed repose of faith, and therefore he returns to the God who had been the refuge of his soul in former days. Even as a bird flies to its nest, so does his soul fly to his God.

If you struggle with knowing that Jesus is your hiding place, I really encourage you to take a verse that speaks to you and tape it somewhere where you can see it. And to make some time in your day for even a moment of "hiding place" time.

I love to hang verses up around the house. It makes verses real and you see them everyday. I have Hab. 3:19 on my window frame. And making time or space for God even in the two or three minutes when you get up makes all the difference.


Hiding Place Lyrics

Early when the day is new
Before the stirring
I will come and talk to you
And confess the ways I am broken
To recall the words you've spoken
And to try to comprehend
The love you have for me

You are my hiding place
You fill my broken heart with songs
Songs of deliverance
You sing of how the weak are strong

You never meant for me to walk alone
You are always for me
As the truest lover of my soul
You hear my desperate calling
You have kept my feet from falling
And have set me on this rock on which I'm stand now

You are my hiding place
You fill my broken heart with songs
Songs of deliverance
You sing of how the weak are strong

And I believe you
For you've saved me from my darkness and my shame
And I believe you
For I hear your song of beauty (??-through the) pain

From David"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help?
My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and Earth.
He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber.
He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade at your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.
The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in form this time on and forevermore."




No comments: