Friday, April 01, 2011

Granola with Almonds and Coconut

 Right out of the oven with some bubbly brown sugar and coconut.
 Brown granola in oven for around 45 minutes.
 Finished product turned out delicious.
 Breakfast this morning. Mmm
I adapted a recipe from Bon Apetit (Feb issue)

The granola recipe from yesterday was a hit! Definite must make.

I loved the salty/sweet take going on and how amazing it tasted and smelled. It was also super simple to make. I adapted the recipe in Bon Apetit with ingredients I had in my pantry, including adding wheat bran and increasing the coconut required. Also, I used a Silpat on my baking sheet instead of the cooking spray.


From Bon Apetit's R.S.V.P. section
The Fly Trap's Oat-and-Nut Granola

Granola with Almonds and Coconut
PREP 15 minutes TOTAL 1 hour
Makes 8 cups
1 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Non-stick veggie spray
4 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons butter, cut in little pea size
1/2 cup toasted almonds
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 teaspoon cinammon
1/4 cup toasted pumpkin or acorn squash seeds (i used acorn squash seeds from our monday dinner-wash seeds and let them air dry)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 325.
Spread coconut on rimmed sheet pan and bake until brown, around 6 minutes.

Cool. Maintain oven temperature.

Spray baking sheet with cooing spray or line with silpat.

Mix oats and next four ingredients in large bowl along with wheat bran, toasted pumpkin seeds and toasted almonds. Spread on sheet. Take little bits of butter and put over oat mixture.

Bake until oats are golden, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Be careful to not mix oats up too much so you will have clusters.

Cool granola. Sprinkle with salt and add coconut.

Can be made one week ahead. Store airtight in mason jar or container.

2 comments:

Allison said...

This sounds awesome - I think I might try this!

Erin said...

Allison-Great! Let me know how it turns out! I loved it. The house smelled amazing. Thanks for your comment!