Sunday, January 17, 2010

Chocolate is oh so better with coffee

I had a cooking epiphany after reading the Ina Garten's latest cookbook. Your food will taste a whole lot better when you take a moment to taste it and add the finishing touch.

". .I don't see any reason why we can't buy perfectly good ingredients in a grocery store, cook them simply, and serve an absolutely delicious meal that will delight everyone at the table, Garten said. "

And "What truly fires my imagination is taking ordinary ingredients and cooking them--or pairing them--in a way that 'unlocks' their true flavors."

Garten believes that you should use foods which are in season and amplifiying their flavor, not changing it.

Among the "unlockers," she says, are Reggiano Parmesan cheese, wine vinegar, freshly squeezed lemon juice, Pernod, coffee, cream, etc.

This may mean squeezing some bright lemon zest and juice in your pan fried mushrooms (always) or olive oil over a soup for a rich finish. The fat from the oil will coat your tongue and make you feel full faster.

I love, love making grilled cheese with fresh mozzerella and tomato and using balsamic vinegar to dip my sandwich in. So simple, yet delicious!

Finally, chocolate will always taste better with the addition of coffee!

5 comments:

Deni said...

I may have to disagree with you on the coffee thing...I think coffee is the worst thing ever...

can I have one of your grilled cheese sandwiches...that sounds AH-Mazing!

Erin said...

Denise, you are on! I will make you some! you don't taste it the coffee at all in the chocolate, it just makes the chocolate more rounded and has more notes, not so bitter. I will make some truffles for vday and bring you some.

Hammocks and High Tea said...

The book French Women Don't Get Fat has very similar principles. I'm rereading it to get inspired again for simple yet delicious cooking. It's amazing how wonderful food can be and how easy it is to lose weight when you start implementing those principles.

I like to cut up fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, drizzled with olive oil and red wine vinegar and grill that together. So yummy!

Erin said...

Why don't you move here so we can have playdates and cook sarah? hello?!

Erin said...

Why don't you move here so we can have playdates and cook sarah? hello?!