Thursday, January 19, 2012

Swim class!

I kind've feel like Ava and Soph as I had my first adult tri swim class yesterday at 7 am. I used some of my bday money to schedule a coaching session with Tracy who coaches at Aquatic Adventures. I had some great advice from my friend Heather on swimming and swimming in open water and thought it would be good to get some more lessons under my belt.

The Healthy Tipping Point blog has a great series on tris and all three disciplines, including swimming here.

On Wed., I got to the pool around 6:50 am and was a little intimidated after seeing an ironman water bottle at the end of one of the laps of the group exercise class prior to my session.

Tracy was great at talking about the basics and helping me to learn how to effectively exhale in the water, inhale out of the water, stroke basics and kicking. I pretty much unlearned everything I had been doing and worked on making sure both of my arm strokes were "awake" as my left arm was barely working. Also, I guess I was kicking too much and not using my arm stroke to propel me forward.

As a stay at home mom, it was really nice to get out that early and have a chance to work on a hobby. And Tracy was a great coach!

Who I would recommend a coaching session to:
  • Anyone wanting to really enjoy swimming laps and increase their endurance
  • Sprint/Olympic/Half/Full IM/interested people
  • Beginner swimmers wanting to learn how to swim with maximum efficiency
  • Advanced swimmers wanting to become more confident in long swim
  • Great for pregos who have to find alternative ways to exercise or injured runners/bikers
  • For the price ($50/hour or $60/two similar swimmers/hour) I felt like I really got my money's worth as I learned so much from her than almost 6 months of swimming and reading articles on the internet.
Working out is still going really great this week. I ran 3 miles Monday, 3 miles Tuesday/weights, Wed swim class. Running while prego is def. doable and is easier outside where it's cooler. The gym is so hot right now. Literally. :)

1 comment:

Jess said...

I would TOTALLY be down with doing a split session with you sometime!!