Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sweat dates

Brandon and I are excited to get a great night away and have a "sweat date" weekend. We have the 10k this weekend, which I am thrilled to be running.

I did a tempo run last night for a quick mile to see how my foot was feeling and I did about 7:30 mile pace. I was at 7:20 or so but wanted to make sure I didn't hurt my foot. The rest of the 5 miles I did recovery after the mile and a 9:35 pace. It felt really good to run and you could not beat the fall leaves and chilly weather.

Today I ran at the Rec Center about 3 miles and took it easy. I did maybe 9:15ish pace and some at 8:40 pace and a cool down. I start to go fast and then worry about my foot. After I did the three miles, I went and did some swimming laps. Oh my, I have missed swimming.

I remember when Heather was helping me train for my first triathlon and I asked her, "What do you think about when you are swimming?" because she was so relaxed...She would say, "Oh, you know, my shoes that are coming in the mail today..." Right. I was just trying to get my breathing in.

Today I tried that approach and thought about things other than technique and the laps passed very quickly. I love how stretched out my muscles felt and how nothing hurts while you swim. So relaxing. I want to keep doing cross training and incorporate into my training like "Run less, Run Faster" suggests.

Oh, and are you under a rock or have you heard about this book? I totally, totally agree with their ideas. Because 1. you can't run a pace during a race you don't train at and 2. overtraining equals burnout and injury. You can hear a live podcast at Run Run Live.

However, there are two schools of thought. You may be into rocking the high mileage training philosophy. If that works for you. Hey, great!

For me personally, I have always run a better race when I have taken almost a week off pre-race and then almost two sometimes. Like I used to say when Brandon and I first got married, every marriage is different you have to do what works for you.

Highly recommend the Run, Run Live podcasts for long run listens. They rock!

What camp are you in? High-mileage or High-intensity? Or a little of both?

Run less, run faster: become a faster, stronger runner with the revolutionary first training program [Book]

From Amazon reviews:

The key feature is the "3 plus 2" program, which each week consists of:

-3 quality runs, including track repeats, the tempo run, and the long run, which are designed to work together to improve endurance, lactate-threshold running pace, and leg speed

-2 aerobic cross-training workouts, such as swimming, rowing, or pedaling a stationary bike, which are designed to improve endurance while helping to avoid burnout


No comments: