Sunday, April 25, 2010

Plan your bed from East to West

Raised beds
Did you know you are supposed to plan a raised garden bed from east to west? This way the taller plants don't shade the smaller plants as the sun rises.

I was really excited this week. I just got my garden seeds. I got Heirloom Beefsteak tomatoes, green beans (haricut vert), zuchinni, herbs, and peas (which need to be planted soon). I love herbs so much that I might just buy a bed for all of my herbs. Or just containers. :) Ava wanted to plant them right away and went and got her plastic shovel from the sandbox.

Lemonbalm and mint tea sidenote
Karla at life group made this amazing summer tea from lemon balm, mint and regular tea. It was lemony, minty goodness. I have to try it out.

Anyways, my dreams for a raised bed may materialize this year thanks to Home Depot. They have a kit with free shipping for 40 dollars. In Union County, our soil is clay. It's really hard to till and it will make your tiller "buck like a bronco" according to my brother Luke.

Now, if I could only get my chickens I have been wanting...:)


No comments: