Thursday, May 14, 2009

Julie Child: My Life in France


If you are looking for a true culinary legend to read about, look no further. Julia Child's, My Life in France, is an intimate and joie de vive look at her start in the world of french cooking. I picked up the book on cd on a whim at the library and enjoyed the book.


I mean. I loved it. I ate, slept, and thought about Julia and how I was wrong about my perception of her. Child's love for french food started a revival in America's kitchens. During her time in France, Child and her husband, Paul, a US government employee became obsessed (yes, you will want to eat, eat, after reading this book) with french cooking. Child enrolled at the Cordon Bleu and endeavoured to bring french cooking to America via her cookbooks and later on her public television show in Boston.


She was a scientist. She was a tall woman with a loud laugh who loved life and the proper way to do everything. She would work on a single recipe for weeks at a time to make a precise and scientific account of the ingredients, what work and what doesn't work in a recipe, and how to make a french recipe using American ingredients. I mean, this woman made mayonnaise for like months at a time to get the perfect mayonnaise recipe! She was also known for printing the first way to cook french bread in an American kitchen, before the only way to do it was to use a baker's oven.


Now I want her cookbooks. If you want a classic read get the book, but the book on CD will bring the story alive for you and help with the french words.


Bon Appetit!

No comments: